Examples of Classical Conditioning
Identify the US, UR, CS, and CR in the following examples. There may be instances of generalization, discrimination, higher order conditioning, etc.
1. The overhead in Tom's lab has a short circuit and gives him a shock every time he touches it. After a while Tom hesitates every time he is about to touch the overhead.
2. Tom gets hungry every time he goes into the kitchen.
3. Tom hates the sight of cats, because he is allergic to them.
4. One of Toms friends has a night of boozing on many Vodka screwdrivers, and eating much pizza and salad with bacon bits. After becoming sick, she refuses to eat bacon bits.
5. To stop bad habits, it is sometimes recommended that you put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it every time you notice yourself doing that behaviour
6. Before you go in for a chemotherapy treatment, they often give you a distinctive food to eat. After treatment, you can't stand that food.
7. Your significant other often yells at you and makes you feel bad. Pretty soon you can't stand the look of that person and dump them. You meet another person who wears the same cologne/perfume. Although they seem nice, you just can't seem to get along with them.
8. You meet a new person who's cooking is very good. After a few meals you start to fall in love.
9. Whenever you go out with your friends you inevitably wind up drinking beer. Now whenever you go out with them, you get thirsty.
10. There are two people you know who you always see together. One day, you see one of them by himself, and he comes up to you and punches you in the nose. Later you see the other one by himself, and you decide to turn around so he doesn't see you.
11. On your way home from school there is a big dog that always barks at you. You start to feel uncomfortable when taking that route, so you take a new route home, past a smaller dog that is not so loud.
12. Whenever you watch a scary show, you always have a big bowl of popcorn. Now you find that just having a bowl of popcorn makes you feel creepy. Later your scary show is canceled, and you start eating popcorn while watching Seinfeld. Now the popcorn makes you feel happy.
13. You always do your homework on your desk. After a very hard semester, you find that sitting at your desk depresses you.
14. You are having an affair with your best friend's spouse. Whenever you are alone together her perfume drives you crazy, but when your friend is around you both act normally.
15. You want to quit smoking, so you sit at home and give yourself a shock every time you reach for a cigarette. Your smoking decreases. However, when you go out with your friends your smoking returns to the same level.
16. When you are in gym class, you get hit in the head repeatedly with a basketball. Soon you develop an aversion to not only basketball, but volleyball and football as well.
17. Whenever you lie in your bed you fall asleep very quickly, more quickly than you would on the couch. One week you have a lot of stress and instead of falling asleep you lie awake several nights in a row. Now, even though the stress is gone, you have difficulty sleeping in your bed.
18. You have a friend who is very boring and seldom has anything important to say. they take a course in conversational English and start to become very interesting. For some reason, every else notices the change much faster than you.
19. Your dog has a particular dish that he gets food in. After a while he starts hiding the dish and growling at you when you try to get it.
20. Your cat gets attacked by a dog while walking in your front yard. Now your cat stays in the back yard or in the house.
21. You get an aquarium, which your cat discovers and regularly eats the fish. You give up and take the aquarium away, but your cat still likes to sit on the shelf where the aquarium was.
22. Your cat comes running every time it hears the can opener.
23. Your dog gets sick and requires several painful trips to the vet. Now he hides every time he hears you rattle your keys.
24. Every time you take your kids out in the car, you drive through McDonalds and get dinner. Now whenever you rattle your keys, your kids come running.
25. You know a weird old man who keeps thousands of dollars in his mattress, but is practically starving.
26. You know a person who enjoys working, even though the work he does doesn't appear to be very much fun.